Please click on thumbnail for larger image
Back To Catalogue

ROYAL. An important George IV Two Handled Bowl made in London in 1830 by William Eaton.

This very fine Bowl stands on a square foot, with circular pedestal above decorated with reeding. The circular main body rises to a reeded rim and is decorated on the lower half with a wide flat fluted band. The loop side handles are also decorated with reeding and display oval frame medallions at the top. The interior is finely gilded and the bowl is well marked on the side of the main body. The front of the main body is engraved with a contemporary Armorial, with coronet above, flanked by supporters. The Motto, "Nec Timere Nec Timide" is engraved below. The reverse is engraved with a contemporary Crest surrounded by a garter engraved with the Motto of the Order of the Garter, all with a coronet above.

The Arms, Crest and Motto are those of a Duke of The Blood Royal and are specifically those of Prince William Henry 1765-1837, son of King George III and his consort Queen Charlotte. At this date he was styled as H.R.H. Prince William, Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews. This piece must have been ordered just before he succeeded his brother, George IV, as King William IV in June 1830.

The Bowl is in extremely fine condition and is modelled in a most unusual design.

Height: 5.1 inches, 12.75cm.
Length, handle to handle: 9 inches, 22.5cm.
Weight: 14oz.


Sold