Please click on thumbnail for larger image
Back To Catalogue

PAUL STORR. An extremely fine and unusual pair of George III Second Course Dishes made in London in 1807 by Paul Storr.

The Dishes are circular in form and rise to an unusual cast and applied border decorated with gadrooning, interspersed with raying shells, scrolls and anthemions. The border is engraved with a contemporary Armorial surrounded by a scroll and shell cartouche. The Dishes are in excellent condition and are very well marked on the reverse. This is the first time we have seen this design of border coming from the Storr workshops, and it may well have been a special commission.

The Armorial is that of the Lucy family, impaling Williams, for George Lucy Esq of Charlecote Park, County Warwickshire, and his wife Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Hugh Williams, 1st Baronet of Bodelwydden, County Flints, whom he married in 1823.

George Lucy was educated at Harrow and Christchurch, Oxford, was a Major in the 3rd Warwickshire Militia in 1808, M.P. for Foley 1820-30 and Sheriff of Warwickshire, 1831. He was born in 1789 and died in 1845. After his retirement from Parliament, he devoted a great deal of time to the restoration of Charlcote which is now recognised as one of the jewels in the National Trust's crown. A photograph of Charlcote is shown.

Diameter: 10.75 inches, 26.88cm.
Weight: 52oz the pair.


gbp 6,500