Please click on thumbnail for larger image
Back To Catalogue

An exceptional pair of George III Armorial Drinking Beakers made in London in 1773 by Charles Wright.

The Beakers have a very unusual flared form, with slightly everted, reeded rim. Both stand on a circular stepped, spreading, foot also decorated with reeding. The front of each piece is beautifully engraved with a contemporary Armorial surrounded by a Rococo shell, scroll and floral spray cartouche. The interiors display very fine original gilding and the underside of the foot displays a crisp set of hallmarks. These are some of the finest quality drinking beakers we have ever offered and are of a most unusual design. We have handled a single beaker of this design in the past and it was also made by Charles Wright, so it may well have been a specific design from his workshops.

The Arms are those of Whichcote of County Lincolnshire. They are almost certainly those of Christopher Whichcote before he succeeded his father as fourth baronet in 1775. This Sir Christopher married, in 1762, his cousin Jane, daughter of Thomas Whichcote Esq., M.P. of Harpswell, County Lincs. Sir Christpher died in 1786. The Whichcote baronetcy was created in 1660 and became extinct in 1949. Their seat, Aswarby Park, near Sleaford, County Lincs. The Hall, which is shown, was demolished in 1951 and was the setting for "Lost Hearts" a novel by M.R. James.

Height: 3.6 inches, 9cm.
Diameter at the rim: 3.45 inches, 8.63cm.
Weight: 13oz, the pair.


Sold